There is nothing better than celebrating the holidays with family and friends. But, when the season starts get a little hectic, it’s a good idea to take a minute to remember the importance of being cautious while driving to your destination.
At Dave’s Ultimate Automotive, our expert auto repair mechanics in Austin have put together a few tips to help you and your loved ones stay as safe as possible on the road during this popular travel time.
Make sure to keep an eye out for:
1. Aggressive Drivers
– There is spike around the Holidays of incidents and car accidents involving aggressive drivers and/or drunk drivers. Never drink and drive! Always establish a designated driver at the beginning of the night, and if you see anyone driving erratically, or dangerous, report it to the police immediately.
2. Weather Conditions
– Black ice, sleet, snow and other adverse weather conditions can make driving downright dangerous. When avoiding the weather isn’t possible, make sure that your car is up-to-date on all it’s vehicle maintenance services. This includes making sure your car’s tires have enough tread, its brakes are functioning properly, your windshield wipers don’t leave streaks, etc.
3. Drowsy Driving
– Too much turkey and pie this holiday season can cause even the safest drivers to get a little sleepy behind the wheel. Make sure you are alert, and take frequent breaks to stretch and stay hydrated. Limit unnecessary distractions and get plenty of rest at night, especially if you have a long drive the next day.
4. Unpredictable Occurrences
– When you’re travelling this Holiday, make sure you plan ahead for any unpredictable incidents that may occur. You may not know what’s going to happen, but you can be ready to handle the situation! Have an emergency kit in the car containing water, food and blankets, just in case the weather or an unexpected breakdown leaves you stranded. Always plan for when to stop for gas, and never fall below a quarter of a tank of fuel while on the highway.
Before you set out on your trip, make sure your automobile is ready for the extra miles by stopping by Dave’s Ultimate Automotive! We have three convenient shop locations in North Austin, Central Austin and Pflugerville, TX, and our ASE Certified Mechanics will make sure your car is up-to-date on any needed maintenance and auto repair services before you take off.
We hope you have a safe and happy holiday season!